What are Photovoltaic Solar Panels?
Photovoltaic Solar Panels is a power system that uses photovoltaics to supply usable solar power or electricity by using sunlight. These PV solar systems consist of several components, including solar array (panels), solar panel combiner, solar regulator, an inverter, electrical accessories and a storage battery bank.
Advantages of PV solar panels:
- PV solar panels produce their own electricity, which is a continuous source of energy. PV solar panels are a self-sustaining source of energy supplied to homes, business, shopping centres, etc.
- PV solar panels produce less pollution and air emission than what conventional electricity generation produce based on fossil fuels.
Disadvantages of PV solar panels:
- PV solar panels produce around 20% or 30% of electricity, to increase the electricity generation a larger number of solar cells and solar panels are required. Weather conditions, and fewer sunlight hours affects PV solar panels from producing solar energy.
- PV solar panels centers on the intermittency of solar energy. Although PV solar panels convert sunlight to electricity, they are dependent on lithium-ion batteries to produce more than 40% of electricity needed to cover a household. Lithium-ion batteries may seem expensive but in comparison to the cost of electricity bills you are able to save money.
Household appliances that can run on solar energy
Homeowners can pick and choose which appliances they want to power with solar energy.
Appliances powered with solar energy:
- kitchen appliances: stove, kettle, refrigerator, microwave, etc
- washing appliances: washing machine, dryer
- air conditioning
- solar geysers to heat hot water: bath or shower, dishwasher, etc
Installing solar panels
There are benefits to installing solar panels yourself but it is safer to have a trained and experienced solar panel installer doing the job. Installation of solar panels on rooftops takes between one to three days to install. The solar panels last for a minimum of 25 years and maintenance required to clean the solar panels once a year.
Photovoltaic Solar Panels installation:
- The first step to installing a solar power to the home is by bringing engineers to assess whether the residence is suitable to install a solar power.
- Mounting pv solar panels is a quick job that requires fixing multiple frames to the roof, after that the solar panels are fixed onto the roof. Flat roof installation involves mounting the solar panels at an angle.
- Inverters are then installed to convert direct current (DC) to alternating current (AC).
- Lithium-ion batteries are required if solar energy will be used during load-shedding, and during periods where there isn’t sun.
Solterra distributes solar energy solutions Pretoria, Midstream, Centurion and Johannesburg.
For a quote and additional information contact us.